Hole in one
Grove, Lynn Stewart of Patricia Island aced her 3rd career hole in one Tuesday, July 20th. She aced hole #16 at Patricia Island using a 5 iron. Witnesses were Ileta Bray, Randy Warren and Greg Brasel. The last that I heard Lynn was buying everyone drinks, as is the custom. Congrats Lynn.
Jack Moore is hosting the Mary Moore Charity Golf Tournament at the Shangri-La Golf & Country Club, Monkey Island, on August 28. It is a 1:00 shotgun and includes lunch before play. The tournament proceeds go to THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS. The public is invited to participate. For additional information contact Jack Moore at 918-557-7670 or email email@example.com.
August 28 at Patricia Island Golf Club, Grove.
The Gary Dunham Memorial
Tournament at 1:30 (shotgun start).
Speaking of Shangri-La Golf & Country Club
That beautiful course on Monkey Island has broken ground on their huge new clubhouse. They have installed white sand in their bunkers and have two new golf holes being built right now.
If you were a member in the past or interested in joining now, I highly recommend that now is the time! Contact general manager Jason Sheffield or his staff at 918-257-4204 or visit their website at www.shangrila.com.
Are you frustrated by your game?
Grand Lake Golf School at Patricia Island is now the official “Fitter” for www.fitchip.com in this area.
This is a new fitting system in which we can measure instantaneously if you have the right frequency shafts in your clubs. The inventor and developer proved to me that 60% of all golfers are playing with the wrong shaft frequency. Simplified, this just means you either get the club face square back to the ball naturally or by force. Naturally is of course best.
We offer a fitting and swing lesson for $50; If you replace and order your shafts at $45 each including grip, we credit the $50 to your purchase. Or, ask us about our demo plan. Call Steve at 918-257-4967 or Gregg Compton at 515-333-9977.
Golf tip of the week
Do you want to get better quick? It is really quite simple.
Practice good mechanics. Lead arm straight during the backswing; Head calm during the backswing; Turn back to target during backswing and belly to target as you finish. Swing to the target instead of at the ball.
These are the things that we look for during a golf lesson. A skilled observer can make a difference in your results. Be sure that whoever is giving you feedback is trained properly.
“Each and every time that you have a great drive, a less than average shot follows.”
- Eighteen holes of match or medal play will teach you more about your foe than will 18 years of dealing with him across a desk. ~Grantland Rice
- Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. ~John Updike
- It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place this world is when one is playing golf. ~Robert Lynd
- Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad. ~A.A. Milne
- Golf, like the measles, should be caught young, for, if postponed to riper years, the results may be serious. ~P.G. Wodehouse, A Mixed Threesome, 1922
- I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone’s golf game: it’s called an eraser. ~Arnold Palmer
- Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears.
- I’m about five inches from being an outstanding golfer. That’s the distance my left ear is from my right. ~Ben Crenshaw
- Golf is like a love affair. If you don’t take it seriously, it’s no fun; if you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart. ~Arthur Daley
- Golf is a fascinating game. It has taken me nearly forty years to discover that I can’t play it. ~Ted Ray, Golf - My Slice of Life, 1972
Golf joke of the week
A guy is at the driving range having a heck of a day. Everything he tries to hit he tops, balls only going about 20’ and burning worms the whole way. Finally disgusted, he turns to the pro on the range and mutters,” If I don’t connect with this one, I’m gonna jump in that lake and drown myself!”
Pro looks at him and says,” I don’t think you can do it.”
“Why not?” He asks.
Pro says, “ I don’t think you can keep your head down that long!”
Steve Pace is a certified golf instructor at Grove's Patricia Island Golf Club. You can reach Steve with golf news at any time at 918-257-4967 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org