JAY - A Delaware County man accused of beating his brother nearly to death with a shovel had his bail doubled instead of reduced at a bond reduction hearing on Thursday.

Jason Leonard Mouse, 24, of Jay is charged in Delaware County District Court with assault and battery, by means or force likely to produce death.

He is accused of beating his brother, Lucas Mouse, with a shovel and attacking him with a pair of scissors, according to an arrest affidavit.

During Thursday's bond reduction hearing, Mouse kept his head lowered, rarely looking up during the hour-long hearing.

James Harvey, Mouse's attorney, asked the court to reduce his bail to $25,000, while Kenneth Wright, assistant district attorney asked for no bail to be set because Mouse previously threatened his brother and as a result of the assault Lucas Mouse suffered permanent brain damage.

Write said Mouse was also previously charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. Court records show that charge was dropped because the state was not prepared to proceed with a preliminary hearing.

Special Judge Alicia Littlefield cited “reckless indifference to human life” as well as the self-defense issue which would be brought up during trial and set his bail at $100,000.

During the hearing, two audiotapes of police interviews with Mouse and a witness were played. Those interview tapes revealed Mouse has previously threatened to kill his brother and prior to the assault Mouse admitted to using marijuana and drinking beer.

According to the arrest affidavit, the brothers were involved in a fistfight, which left Lucas Mouse on the ground. Jason Mouse then used a shovel to beat his brother over the head more than 10 times, the affidavit states.

Witnesses told authorities the fight concerned a woman, the affidavit states.

Mouse was originally charged with assault and or battery with a dangerous weapon and was scheduled to go to trial on September 18. Those charges were dropped and new charges were filed the same day.

Mouse remains in the Delaware County jail and is scheduled to return to court October 23 for a preliminary hearing.