Special to the Grove Sun
Jay school officials received a threatening note this week, prompting them to let parents decide whether their children should attend classes Wednesday and Thursday.
Superintendent Charles Thomas said the school was not locked down Tuesday and a letter was sent to parents saying that a threatening note was found on campus. Teachers have inspected the note and identified several students by their handwriting. So far, no one has been accused or arrested.
The three-paragraph letter to parents and guardians said a “suspicious note has been found on one of our campuses.”
The letter does not say how many notes were found or on what day. The letter says the school “will honor your decision to send your child/children to school or keep them home” on Wednesday and Thursday.
Wednesday and Thursday there were approximatey 30 students at the high school, 80 at the middle school and 140 at the elementary school. Some classes had only two students in attendance.
Officials wrote that local law enforcement authorities were brought in to investigate.
Jay Police Chief Mike Shambaugh was unavailable for comment, a spokesman for the Police Department said.
No cell phones and bags were allowed on campus on Wednesday or Thursday, and police officers checked everyone at the front door. The school was being locked down at 8:30 Wednesday and Thursday. Up until that point the officers were at the high school and middle school with metal detecting wands. They were searching every backpack brought into the school. Once the school is locked down, officers patrolled the halls. Jay Police Department and the Delaware Sheriff’s Department officers/deputies cooperated in the effort.
Law enforcement sources say they have a suspect in mind and the matter is being taken very seriously and being investigated aggressively.
The school will be closed Friday through the following week for a teacher professional day and spring break.