Oaks Indian Mission broke ground for a new residents’ home on Saturday, October 19.
It will be a 4800 square foot residence with room for eight kids, plus house parents.
The $700,000 cost is covered by four major individual donations; a single donor who established the first donation, the Cherokee Nation, the Mabee Foundation and the Emmanuel Vision Foundation.
Many numerous other donors helped complete the fundraising to make the building possible, the first major expansion at the Mission in decades.
The building will be located on the site of the old post office which was recently razed.
The Oaks Indian Mission was first began 218 years ago by the Moravians in South Carolina, then they relocated to the Oklahoma area ahead of the Trail of Tears traverse, the tribe was forced to make.
The Mission was re-established here, as was a school for the Cherokee.
Today the Mission serves the Native Tribes all across Oklahoma.
Many alumni were present for the groundbreaking.
Leading the program’s prayer time was alumni Saul Bird Mockicin (1948 – 1960) as a designated person prayed to the East (color yellow), the south (color red), the west (color black) and to the north (color white).
Additional prayers were offered by Bishop Mike Girlinghouse and Rev. Pete Sandager, board president.
The architect for the building was Chief Boyd (Tulsa) and the builder is yet to be named.