A hostage situation in near Oaks turned deadly on Monday, April 9, after law enforcement officers shot and killed a man who broke into a rural residence and held a disabled man at gunpoint.

The second suspect was taken into custody after being on the run for several hours, said Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Colby Overstreet and Delaware County Sheriff Harlan Moore during a news conference after the four-hour standoff ended. 

Law enforcement officials have identified the man killed as James Matthews Rogers, 34, and the suspect taken into custody as Randy McDonald, 23.

McDonald is being held at the Delaware County Jail in Jay on multiple charges including receiving and concealing stolen property, possession of a firearm with an altered id during the commission of a felony, carrying or possessing a firearm as a convicted felon, removing or altering a firearm's serial number, and obstruction of officers.

Bond for McDonald had not been established as of press time.

About the victim

Connie Manley identified the victim as her husband, Tony Manley, either 55- or 56-years-old. Manley was taken to the Siloam Springs Regional Hospital in Siloam Springs, Arkansas, for treatment by emergency personnel following the incident.

“He was pistol whipped but he is OK and has been released (from the hospital),” said Chris Couch, Manley’s stepson.

Connie Manley said her husband is on disability.

About the incident

Neighbors were evacuated and the road to a cluster of eight residences — located between Oaks and Twin Oaks about a mile and half from U.S. 412 — was blocked off during the standoff.

Gunfire was heard in the residence and negotiations broke down shortly thereafter, prompting authorities to enter the residence.

“Shots were fired and the suspect [Rogers] was killed,” Overstreet said. He would not elaborate on the number of shots fired or which officers were involved. 

Earlier in the day, the two suspects were driving what authorities said was a stolen car and were spotted by an OHP trooper and a Delaware County sheriff’s deputy, who had pulled off the highway and were discussing a rash of burglaries in Delaware and Cherokee counties, he said.

The officers pursued the suspects for about two miles before the suspects turned onto 575 Road, crashing the vehicle in a field, then fleeing on foot, Overstreet said.

McDonald fled and Rogers broke into the Manley’s mobile home. Rogers was shot at approximately 2 p.m., McDonald was taken into custody, walking on a rural Delaware County road sometime before the 3:30 p.m. press conference.

About 50 officers — with the Grand River Dam Authority Police, Delaware County Sheriff’s Office, Colcord and Kansas police departments and OHP — responded to the scene around 10 a.m.