Heavyweight Kenzie Morrison, 27, returned to the ring, on his home turf, as he took part in the first "Bedlam on Grand Lake", on Saturday, Jan. 20, in Grove.

A Jay local and son of the late Tommy Morrison, he competed in his first match since injuring his hand in September.

Morrison whose record going into the night was 12-0-2, and is known for numerous knockouts, faced off against Ronny Hale.

Hale is from Austin, Texas, and at the age of 34 had a record of 3-9-0 going into the fight against Morrison.

After a grueling four rounds of fighting, Morrison won by unanimous decision over Hale.

“Last fight I hurt my right hand and I needed a small tune up before getting back into the bigger fights,” said Morrison. "It feels really good be back home.”

Super Lightweight

The night also saw a big upset in the super lightweight division with the fight between local fighter Jimmie Roach 5-0-0 and Demetrius Wilson 1-4-0 of Florissant, Missouri.

Roach, the crowd favorite, went a full six rounds against Wilson before losing by unanimous decision.

Wilson, at times, was seen taunting Roach by holding his hands up as if to tell Roach to try and hit him.

This drew numerous yells from the crowd telling Roach to, “knock his ass out Jimmy.”

The two fighters showed little love for each other by trading insults during the bout.

After finishing all six rounds, Wilson walked away with the win by unanimous decision.


In the welterweight class Zack Shurtz 1-0-1 from Springfield, Missouri, faced off against Drake Heitfield 0-2-1 from Emporia, Kansas.

After only two rounds of fighting, Shurtz landed a solid punch to Heitfield to win by a knockout.

Hietfield was unable to get back to his feet before the official reached a 10 count.

The night also saw the boxing debut of Jay local Jeremiah Black who faced off against Daniel Miranda from Rogers, Arkansas.

Black, who is leaving for Marine Corps Boot Camp in June, was escorted into the ring by his recruiter and other young adult Marine Corps recruits.

Black was bloodied early by Miranda with a blow to the nose, which created a show for the crowd.

Both fighters traded blow after blow during all four rounds of fighting before Miranda was declared the winner by unanimous decision.

The fight, at the Grove Civic Center, drew crowds estimated between 650 and 700 in what is planned as the first of six boxing events set for the venue. 

The event, promoted by Bedlam Promotions, is expected to return to Grove on Saturday, March 17.

“Our next fight is going to be bigger and better," said Eric Lenington, with Bedlam Promotions. "Three of four went the distance and the cards were very evenly matched.

“Kenzie had all he could handle. If we went six rounds it might have been a different outcome. Hale plans to move to Grove, train under Jim Roach [Grove Boxing Club] and drop some weight.”

Lenington confirmed the promoters are looking at scheduling a rematch between Black and Miranda possibly in May.