David Reeder

Taking an early lead, the Kansas Lady Comets cruised to a win over Grove, Tuesday night, at J.O. Jones Gymnasium. And in the nightcap, the Comet and Ridgerunner boys hooked up in an old-fashioned donnybrook that featured double fouls, double overtime and double the fun before the outcome was finally decided.

In the opening game the Lady Red turned the ball over 9 times in the first quarter while shooting 5 of 14 from the floor. Stacia Sarwinski put in a pair of baskets for 4 points, to go with 3 apiece from Margaret Pogue, Kelsey Kerr and Kenzie Miller. With 6 of Kortni Kendrickís game high 19 points and 5 from Keely Kerns, the Lady Comets shot 5 off 11 to put in 18 for a 5-point edge.

In the ensuing period, Grove shot only 2 of 11 from the field and 2 of 7 from the free throw line, scoring only 6 points. On the strength of 7 from Kelsey Barnwell and 12 more from 5 of her teammates, Kansas stretched the lead to 37-19 at the break.

Following the intermission, the Lady Ridgerunners connected on only 1 of their first 10 shots, while turning the ball over 6 more times, but; eventually scored a dozen. With 5 more from Kendrick, the Kansas girls scored 19 more in the 3rd, extending their lead to 25 with a quarter to play. In the 4th, the Lady Comets took only 8 attempts from the field and connected on 3 of them. Most of the Kansas damage was done from the charity stripe, where they buried 13 of 17 attempts. Groveís Logan Cook put in a pair of 3 pointers that in conjunction with a trey from Shae Scott for the 76-43 final.

In the boyís contest, Kansasís Ethan Fausett and Nevin Nofire led the Comet charge out of the gate with 7 and 6 points respectively. But the Ridgerunnerís Tyler Spychalski knocked down 10 of his game high 19 points and Grove was able to double up their hosts on rebounds, to stay within 4 of the Comets, 17-13. In the subsequent stanza, the Kansas offense turned the ball over an incredible 11 times and were unable to score until Trenton Cochranís traditional 3-point play with 2:20 remaining in the half. In the meantime, the íRunnerís Jack Johnson scored half of his teamís 2nd quarter dozen to pull within a deuce at halftime.

Leading 27-25, the Comets turned the ball over 8 more times in the 3rd and on the strength of 7 more by Spychalski, Grove managed to tie things up at 32 and to take the lead, 39-38 at the end of the quarter. But the pesky Comets refused to go away in the final period of play. The cross county rivals would battle through 5 lead changes before, with under a half minute to play and the score knotted at 48, Kansas took a low percentage shot that bounded off the backboard and into the hands of the Ridgerunners, to send the game into overtime.

In the first extra session both squads got a pair of baskets and a free throw to knot things up again. But with the score tied at 53 each and under :20 to play, Grove took an errant shot that bounced hard off of the backboard and into the waiting hands of the Cometís Jonathan Williams. Williams hauled in the long rebound on the fly and broke away toward the Kansas basket. But the referee blew an inadvertent whistle that stopped the action with 7.9 seconds to play. Following a prolonged timeout, the Comets inbounded the ball, only to miss their 2nd potential winning shot of the game and sending the game into yet another overtime. And in the second additional session it was all Grove. The Ridgerunnerís got a bucket each from Phillips and Trent Winters to go with 5 of 6 free throws, while holding Kansas to only a Corey Cowen field goal to hang on for the 62-55 road win.