David Reeder

Sometimes itís not enough to have more players, a larger talent pool and the home field advantage. The inability to consistently execute can negate any or all of the aforementioned.† And such was the case for the Oaks Warriors Friday night at Tucker Field, as they fell to a 38-20 district loss to arch rival Watts.

†††††† Oaks received the opening kick and quickly faced a third and long situation from their own 38.† And as if a sign of things to come, Watts linebacker Clinton Simmons intercepted the Warrior pass, returned it to the 31 where an Oaks facemask penalty moved the ball to the 16.†

Three snaps later, Engineer quarterback Dylan Edens trotted in for a 5-yard touchdown.† R.J. Cunningham tacked on the two-point run for an 8-0 lead.†

The Warriors wasted a good 23-yard Logan Reasor kick return and after picking up a first and 10, they turned the ball over on downs.

On the Engineers second pass attempt of the series, Reasor intercepted the throw from Edens and galloped 35 yards to pay dirt.† The two-point run failed giving the visitors an 8-6 edge.†

Watts answered on the second snap of their next possession with the gameís longest play. Edenís hit Cunningham for a 50 yard pass and catch that, when added to the successful 2 point conversion, gave them a 10 point lead.

†††††† The teams traded possessions that burned nearly half of the second quarter, but the Engineers were winning the battle for field position.†

The Warriors were forced to quick kick on a third and long, giving Watts the ball on the Oaks 40.† And on the first play of the series Edens connected with his tight end, Sam Mclelland for a 39-yard gain to the one-yard line.†

With 6:02 to play in the half, Edens called his own number for the score.†

The Warriors then put together their longest drive of the half. Marching 63 yards on eight snaps, Reasor found Marler sliding behind coverage for a 29-yard TD that put them back into the ballgame.

†††††† With the start of the second half and momentum clearly in their corner, the Warriors jumped on a Watts fumble and recovered the ball on the visitorís 34.

And on the second play of the drive Reasor and Marler teamed up for another pitch and catch TD, this time from 30 yards away.† The two-point pass attempt failed but Oaks was within two, 22-20.

But just when it looked like the Warriors were about to wear the visitors down, the Engineers simply refused to go away.† After forcing Oaks to give up the ball on downs, and terminating an eight play drive, Watts went on a march of their own.†

Using six plays and a Warrior penalty, the Engineers burned the remaining third quarter clock and scored on the first snap of the fourth.† McLellen added the two-point pass conversion for a 32-20 lead.†

And as a result of more missed opportunities, in tandem with some late flags, the Warriors were forced to relinquish the ball on downs again.†

Watts salted things away with Cunninghamís 10-yard scoring scamper at the 5:21 mark of the fourth.

†††††† The 1-1 Warriors travel to Copan on Friday and return to Tucker Field on September 25 to celebrate homecoming against South Coffeyville.

Personal Note: At the Oaks/Watts contest, I inadvertently lost a black satchel with a shoulder strap.† The satchel contained both my personal camera and one belonging to the Delaware County Journal.† We would greatly appreciate the return of these cameras in order to continue to provide pictures of your events.† Please contact 918/253-4322.