Behind a tidal wave of big plays the Grove Ridgerunners sank the Locust Grove Pirates 63-14 Friday night at Ridgerunner Stadium.
For GHS (5-4, 3-3) the District 4A-3 contest was the final home bow for the senior class. Grove wraps up their ’09-’10 campaign this Friday in the Delaware County Bowl at Earp Stadium versus long-time rivals the Jay Bulldogs.
The Ridgerunners put on a firework show for the fans Friday night. Among the highlights:
- A 94-yard circus-catch touchdown reception by senior Cody Medeiros from QB Adam Steffenson early in the second quarter. The senior has missed the past few weeks with an injury and made his return to the line up against the Pirates. Fellow senior Jesse Carper had the next biggest reception of the night, a 45-yarder that helped set up a GHS rushing score.
- Behind some ferocious blocking from senior linemen Carter Londagin and Weston Culvey, Ridgerunner senior Casey Bartley amassed 235 rushing yards and four touchdowns. Bartley broke an 81-yard burst midway through the second quarter and did his usual job of busting tackles and dragging defenders along for extra yardage. Bartley posted scoring runs from 10, 2, 12, and 34 yards.
- Buck Maples scored two touchdowns Friday night; one on offense and the other on defense, both in the third quarter. The junior wide receiver nabbed a 33-yard reception from Steffenson and seemingly dragged the entire Pirate defense with him for the final ten yards. Roughly two minutes later, and now perched at defensive back, Maples made a 32-yard pick-six interception return. Maples wound up the leading receiver on the night with four catches for 97 yards and had a first half interception to go along with his second half score.
- Defensive lineman Josh Friend, a sophomore, had an early Christmas when he pulled in a second half interception.
- Linebackers Bobby Harris and Trent Phillips did their usual A-plus job of head-hunting. Phillips had a fumble recovery early in the second quarter that killed a Pirate scoring opportunity.
- Brody Scott pulled in an interception on the final play of the first half. The play was one of six Pirate turnovers on the night.
- Even with the evening being “Senior Night” there was room for freshmen to make an appearance. Benny Steffenson gained 54 yards on eight carries, including a 14-yard scoring run in the third quarter. Meanwhile, classmate Bryce Davenport saw time on both sides of the ball.
Despite the lopsided result the Pirates did have some flashes of color in the first half.
LGHS opened the scoring on the night when their initial drive ended with an Anthony Taylor 38-yard reception from QB Adrian Houser. Houser’s successful conversion run gave the Pirates an early 8-0 lead.
The Ridgerunners quickly tied the score off of Bartley’s first touchdown of the contest.
But the Pirates were tenacious early. Locust started driving again late in the first quarter and extended the march into the second frame, handily converting a fourth and ten spot from the Grove 20-yard line. Two plays after that impressive feat, however, Phillips made a hit and recovered an LGHS fumble just one yard from pay dirt.
Locust Grove Pirates v Grove Ridgerunners
@ Ridgerunner Stadium
October 30, 2009
GHS (5-4, 3-3) 63 LGHS (0-9, 0-6) 14
1 2 3 4 F
LGHS 8 0 6 0 14
GHS 8 21 34 0 63
FIRST DOWNS 18 15
RUSHING 30-311 34-169
PASSING 262 14-30 for 149
TOTAL OFFENSE 573 318
PENALTIES 6-65 6-35
TURNOVERS 2 6
CMP ATT YDS TD INT
A. Steffenson 8 14 262 2 2
ATT YDS AVG TD
Bartley 17 235 13.8 4
B. Steffenson 8 54 6.8 1
A. Steffenson 2 8 4.0 1
Martin 1 15 15.0
Davenport 1 2 2.0
Team 1 (3)
REC YDS AVG TD
Maples 4 97 24.2 1
Medeiros 1 94 94.0 1
Carper 1 45 45.0
Scott 1 23 23.0
Martin 1 3 3.0