Grove Sun Daily

The GHS Ridgerunner and Lady Red soccer teams participated in the Oologah Tournament at the end of last week.

The Lady Ridgerunners posted a 1-2 mark at the event. The team suffered losses to Oologah and Collinsville on Thursday before bouncing back to claim a victory against Inola on Friday. The results netted the Lady Red a fifth place finish overall for the tournament.

The Ridgerunners went 2-1 at Oologah and finished in fifth place for the tournament.

Grove opened their account with a 6-0 loss to Oologah on Thursday. The team rebounded with a 4-0 win over Coweta late Thursday and a 3-0 win over Claremore-Sequoyah on Friday.

“We had a disappointing start but we redeemed ourselves in the final two games,” said Ridgerunner Soccer Head Coach Sean Botts.

Oologah scored all of their goals in the first half of the contest. Counting the second half of that game and the two games that followed the Ridgerunner defense put together four and a half periods of shutout play.

Senior reserve goalkeeper Chris Winnie played the second half of the Oologah game while regular starter John Meggyes finished out the tournament.

“Our defense played really well against Coweta and Sequoyah,” Botts said. “They were a really solid unit.”

GHS senior Reid Harding opened the scoring against Coweta with a late first half goal. Sophomore Kyle Earp was credited with the assist.

A few minutes later Ridgerunner junior Walker Botts stretched the Grove lead with a goal, with Earp assisting again.

Botts and Harding added a goal each in the second half, both assisted by Dillon Boydston, to make for the 4-0 final.

Meggyes had 10 saves in the Coweta game.

An early goal by Boydston, with an assist by Botts, combined with a late first half goal from Botts gave the Ridgerunners a 2-0 halftime lead against Claremore-Sequoyah.

Botts scored a goal on a penalty kick late in the game to seal the 3-0 shutout.

Meggyes had nine saves in the Claremore-Sequoyah game.

“In the last two games our offense played smart and had good communication,” Botts said. “Our passes looked great and that played a big part in how we won.

“If we can play the rest of the season like we did in those last two games then this tournament will have paid off for us,” Botts added.

Both Grove teams will return to the pitch on the 24th with road games at Ft Gibson. The girls’ game is set to begin at 5:00 p.m. with the boys’ game to follow.