Candy Woodruff

Special to the Grove Sun

KANSAS – The Adair Warriors are headed to the 2A district football playoffs after their 30-15 win over the Kansas Comets Friday.

The Comets’ offense started the game off strong, returning the opening kick-off to their own 35 yard line and getting the first down.

Fighting a tough Warrior defense, the Comets got another first down when senior quarterback Wade Lewis carried the ball to the 47-yard line where he was forced out of bounds.

A high snap on the next play ended the Comets’ drive, giving the Warriors the ball on the 10-yard line, setting the scene for Warriors senior quarterback Marshall Timmons, who tossed the ball to junior tight end Blake Smith waiting in the end zone.

The kick was good, giving the Warriors a 7-0 lead in just under two minutes of play in the first quarter.

An incomplete pass followed by a fumble and a penalty against Kansas deep in Comet territory allowed Adair senior running back Christian Luper to take a direct snap and run it into the end zone for the second Warrior touchdown only four minutes into the game.

The PAT was good, bringing the score to 14-0.

While the Comet offense struggled to move the ball down the field for the rest of the quarter, their defense managed to keep Adair from scoring another touchdown until four minutes into the second quarter when Timmons threw a pass to senior tight end Garret Colwell.

The extra point was no good when the kick went wide, bringing the score to 20-0.

A screen pass from Comet Wade Lewis to senior wide receiver Tyler Langston got things going for the Kansas offense on the Warriors’ 30-yard line.

This was followed by a 15-yard carry by junior running back Dakota Bright, giving the Comets the first down on the 15-yard line.

Langston carried the ball 10 yards into the end zone on the next play, putting the Comets on the scoreboard.

The kick by senior C.J. Foreman was good, setting the score at 20-7 with 4:50 left in the half.

After the halftime break, it looked like the Warriors might again take the upper hand when Adair junior defensive back Michael Fraley intercepted a pass and ran the ball 20 yards to the Comets 40-yard line, but a fumble on the next play was recovered by Comets junior defensive end Colten Goedecke at the 48-yard line. This sort of back and forth between the two teams continued through the rest of the third quarter, with neither managing a goal.

The fourth quarter started off much the same as the third, though the Warriors eventually managed to make it close to the goal line.

They were lined up at the five-yard line on fourth down and faced with losing the ball when Timmons kicked a field goal, putting another three points on the board for a score of 23-7.

The next score for the night came when Adair’s Christian Luper threw a 39-yard pass to junior tight end Blake Smith for the touchdown.

The kick by Timmons was good, setting the score at 30-7.

Over halfway through the final quarter the Comets made a successful scoring drive beginning with a complete pass from Wade Lewis to sophomore wide receiver Johnny Lewis.

J. Lewis made it to the Warrior 45-yard line before being forced out of bounds.

It was another pass up the middle from Wade Lewis to Johnny Lewis that got the Comets’ first down at the 30-yard line.

Then a pass from Wade Lewis to Dakota Bright brought the Comets to first and goal at the seven-yard line.

This was followed by a hand-off from Lewis to Bright, rocketing the Comets into the end zone for their final touchdown of the night.

With 5:12 left in the game, a play action pass from Lewis to senior tight end Dylan Duncan gave the Comets the 2-point conversion and a score of 30-15.

Adair managed to run out the clock for the remainder of the quarter, clinching a play off berth.

The 8-2 Warriors now head to Tulsa to play 8-2 Lincoln-Christian, the champions of District 2A-7,  at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

The Comets, needing a win to claim fourth place in 2A-8, were eliminated from postseason contention with the loss.