David Reeder

Special to the Grove Sun

KANSAS- Anyway you look at it, the Wyandotte Bears got taken to the metaphorical woodshed Friday night at Dee Neel Field. And much to the delight of the near-capacity Homecoming crowd, the Comets put a 44-0 spanking on their first district foe.

 After receiving the opening kickoff, the Bear offense started their opening series on the 31 and stayed on the ground for three yards on their first three snaps. A Comet penalty moved the ball to just outside the 40 for a fourth and two to go. Curiously, the visitors challenged the defense by going for it. And Homecoming King Dylan Duncan stood Wyandotte running back Justin Walton straight up at the line of scrimmage, to take over possession on downs.

Two first downs and a half a dozen snaps later, Dakota Bright (10 carries for 89 yards) put his team on the scoreboard from three yards out. With 6:32 to play in the first, C.J. Foreman added the extra point for a 7-0 lead.

The Bears got good field position on the ensuing kick, thanks to a decent return and a 15-yard facemask penalty. Moving the sticks twice it looked as if the visitors might answer the Kansas score. But when Wyandotte quarterback Ryan Garrett attempted his first (and only) pass of the game, the Comets’ Wade Lewis intercepted it on his own 20 and returned it 65 yards to the Bear 15.

The quarter ended with Kansas facing a third and four on the Bears’ nine. That play resulted in a three-yard sack of Lewis. The Comets turned the ball over on downs when Lewis missed Tyler Lankston in the corner of the end zone.

But the Bear offense went three and out, and were forced to punt. Kansas’s Brett Odle crashed down on the punter and blocked the kick into the end zone, where Duncan pounced on it for the score. The Comets added the two-point conversion with a Lankston to Cody Bright pass

The home defense continued to dominate their guests with another three-and-out series, forcing a punt. Taking control on their 37, Kansas got a 12-yard scamper by Bright to near midfield. A 38-yard Wade Lewis pass to little brother Johnny Lewis put the ball deep inside the redzone. Two snaps later the elder Lewis scored on a pass to Zach Evans from seven yards away.

The Bears managed a penalty-aided first down on their next possession, but gave up the ball on downs on the Kansas 33. The Comets needed only five snaps before Lewis and Lewis teamed up for a 33-yard TD catch on the sixth. And with 1:06 left in the half Kansas was cruising with a 28-0 lead.

Tyler Lankston returned the second half kick 38 yards to across the 50 yard line to the Wyandotte 46. And on the first snap of the half, Bright got to the outside of the defense and outran them to the goal line. Foreman’s extra point put the Comets on top 35-0. Following the extraordinary TD run to start the half, Kansas went freely to their bench to play out the remainder of the contest. Freshman [first name] Hunt, took over the reins of the Comet offense and engineered their final scoring drive, when he scored on a 16-yard keeper in the fourth. Kansas would add a safety to the Bear misery, accounting for the 44-0 runaway final.

Kansas 44, Wyandotte 0

    1st    2nd    3rd    4th    Final

KHS    7    21    7    9    44

WHS    0    0    0    0    0

Individual Scoring:

K: Bright 3 yard run (Foreman kick)

K: Duncan punt recovery in end zone (Bright 2-Pt pass from Lankston)

K: Evans 7 yard pass from W. Lewis (Foreman kick)

K: J. Lewis 33 yard pass from W. Lewis (Kick failed)

K: Bright 46 yard run (Foreman kick)

K: Hunt 16 yard run (Foreman kick)

K: Safety