SHANGRI-LA GOLF RESORT
- Let's Toast and Congratulate Our Grand Ladies!
- Well, the Grand Lady, has come and gone, and in the light of the eclipse, SLWGA crowned its Grand Ladies on Monday. Winners include (drum roll!):9-Hole Gross Grand Lady for 2017 is Jan Castellin, with a 55, and the New Net Grand Lady for 9-holers is Pat Dunn, with 59.
- 18- Hole Gross Grand Lady for 2017 is Linda Ballard, with an 81, and the New Net Grand Lady for 18-holers is Judi Barber, with a low net of 67.
- Aren't we lucky to have such great golfers in the SLWGA?
- But, let's not forget a special toast to Susan Jones and Debbie Hess for all the work they did putting this tournament together and making it a fun experience for everyone who participated in it! (Submitted by Janeice SLWGA)
CHEROKEE GROVE GOLF COURSE
- Monday Night League at Cherokee Grove Golf Course as reported by John Morrow.
The A Flight winner was Chance Smith; B Flight Winner was; Jett Ogden; C Flight Winner was Ty Morrow. Skins were won by Jerry Ogden, Mike Benton, Lonnie Banning and Chance Smith. Closest to the pin on hole #8 went to Bill Martin and on hole #2 the winner was Fred Morrow. We have room for new players. See you there.
UPCOMING EVENTS AT CHEROKEE GROVE GOLF COURSE:
- World’s Cheapest Skins Game. Saturday and Sunday morning tee off at 9:00 a.m. $1.00 Skins game at Cherokee Grove Golf Course.
- Fish fry and night scramble at Cherokee Grove: Saturday, Sept. 9. The Scramble starts at 5 p.m., with the Fish Fry after the first nine then play the second nine in the moonlight. Call 918-786-4100 or signup at Cherokee Grove Golf Course.
PATRICIA ISLAND COUNTRY CLUB – Grove
Tuesday Night Open League at Patricia Island Country Club reported by Mike Kelly.
Low Net Winners were Linc Bassett and Mike Kelly who tied for 1st place low net. Skins winners were Terry Clark 1 skin, Linc Bassett with 3 skins, and Mike Kelly 2 skins. Call about memberships at 918-786-3338.
- Har-Ber Village Museum Benefit Golf Tournament Scramble at Patricia Island Golf Club, Sunday, Sept. 17. Contact Ron Young, Committee Chairman at 917-328-1858 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 21st Annual Northeast Oklahoma Board of Realtors Golf & Give Charity Tournament Sept. 27. Call Penny Sternbeck 918-801-8807. Patricia Island Country Club.
GOLF TIP OF THE WEEK
Short Game, Short Game, Short Game!
- With over 60 percent of your strokes coming from inside of 100 yards, it is essential that you spend a proportionate amount of time on your short game as you practice.
You should devote most of your short game practice to putting and chipping. These two shots make up the majority of your short game strokes.
LOCAL GOLF VENUES
-Cherokee Grove Golf Course (Grove) - 918-786-4100
-The Coves Golf Club (Duck Creek) - 918-782-3220
-Grand Cherokee Golf Course (Langley) - 918-435-8727.
-Patricia Island Golf Club (Grove) - 918-786-3338
-Peoria Ridge Golf Club (Miami) - 918-542-7676
-Shangri-La Golf Club (Monkey Island) - 918-257-4204
-Eagle Creek Golf Club (Joplin) - 417-623-5050
-Elk River C.C. (Noel) - 417-475-3208
GOLF JOKE OF THE WEEK
During my physical, my doctor asked me about my daily activity level, and so I described a typical day this way:
"Well, yesterday afternoon, I waded along the edge of a lake, drank eight beers, escaped from wild dogs in the heavy brush, marched up and down several rocky hills, stood in a patch of poison ivy and jumped away from an aggressive rattlesnake. Inspired by the story, the doctor said, "You must be one great outdoorsman!"
"No," I replied, "I'm just a lousy golfer."
Keep it in the middle!
Mike and Steve