Janet Barber

Grove Sun

JAY - A Zena man has been charged with manslaughter after allegedly shooting a lifelong friend, according to the Delaware County Sheriff’s Department.

Michael Dean Brewer, has been charged with first degree manslaughter, possession of a controlled substance, and unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia as a result of the shooting death of Charlie Husong Jr., also of the Zena area on July 19.

According to a probable cause affidavit filed by Delaware County Sheriff’s Captain Ron Teel, officers arrived at the Brewer residence located on 610 Road after being dispatched to the residence by a Grove Police Department dispatcher.

The dispatcher told Teel that Brewer had called and said he had been with Husong all day and they had argued. She said Brewer told her he got his shotgun after Husong hit him and the two men “grappled” over the gun. She told Teel that Brewer said he pulled the trigger, hitting Husong in the upper leg.

Teel listened to the 911 call, and Brewer said the shooting happened 30 minutes before he called 911.

In the 911 call, Brewer also said that “an ambulance might not be needed because it looked like Husong is not breathing or moving and that Husong has bled a lot.”

Brewer also told the GPD dispatcher that the gun was a .410 shotgun.

Brewer told Captain Teel during an interview that Husong had come over to his residence at 9 a.m. that morning and was mad over an incident at work. He also said that Husong and his mother had gotten into an argument as well and that Husong’s mother had brought him to his residence.

Brewer told the investigator that he got his shotgun and told Husong to leave and he wouldn’t. He said Husong “yanked” on the barrel and the shotgun went off and it hit him in the right side of his groin.

Brewer denied waiting before calling 911. He told Teel that he got his shotgun because he wanted Husong out of his house.

He admitted to having two beers earlier, according to his report.

Brewer never revealed to the officer what the argument had been about.

A search of the home resulted in the discovery of a substance that field-tested positive for marijuana as well as drug paraphernalia.

Husong was arrested and transported to the Delaware County Jail.

He was released on July 23 after posting a $22,000 bond.

He will return to district court on Sept. 7 at 9:30 a.m.