JAY – A Grove man accused of killing his father pled not guilty by reason of insanity in district court Tuesday morning.

Mark Henry Thurman, 26, is accused of murdering his 61-year old father, Bob Thurman, on Nov. 29, 2005 at the Thurman’s home in the Orchard Grove Housing area, by shooting him in the back of the head.

According to incident reports filed in district court, Thurman was released Nov. 28, 2005 from the Missouri State Penitentiary, spent the night in his parents home and fatally wounded his father the next day when his father returned home from work. Thurman fled the scene and was later apprehended in Raton, NM on Nov. 30.

He was formally charged with first-degree murder on Dec. 1, 2005.

Thurman pled not guilty by reason of insanity during the felony docket set on Aug. 7, 2006 and his defense attorney, Kenny Wright, asked for a continuance in order for the defendant to receive psychological testing.

Thurman was ordered to Eastern State Hospital in Vinita on January 8, 2007 where he stayed until May 16, 2007 when he appeared in district court and was found competent to stand trial.

Thurman asked to enter into a plea agreement with the state on Aug. 7, 2007. At that time he asked for the death penalty.

In documents filed in the district court clerk’s office, District Attorney Eddie Wyant asked that the empanelled jury impose the penalty of death by lethal injection against Thurman.

The bill of particulars filed stated that not only had Thurman killed his father, but the lives of his son (Thurman’s) and the child’s mother were also in danger at the time of the shooting.

The document stated that not only did Thurman intend to kill his entire family, he was going to “just keep killing as he wanted to be the next ‘chainsaw massacre’ or the next ‘natural born killer.’”

Judge Robert G. Haney ordered that Thurman undergo an independent mental evaluation although he had earlier been evaluated by the state’s physicians and been found competent to stand trial.

On September 12, 2007, Thurman retained defense attorney John Echols of Sapulpa, OK, who announced that he was not and could not be prepared for trial on the following spring felony disposition docket.

Thurman appeared in court for a post competency review hearing and was found competent to stand trial for the second time on February 6, 2008.