Janet Barber

Grove Sun

JAY – A 17-year-old Jay boy has been charged with three counts of second degree murder after the car he was driving struck an oncoming vehicle killing the three people inside.

Douglas L. Huddelston, 17, of Jay, was formally charged Friday with the three felony counts of murder in the second degree and should he be found guilty, he could serve 30 years in prison.

According to the Affidavit for Arrest filed by Oklahoma Highway Patrolman Eric Gibe, the accident occurred on April 30, 2010 at approximately 1:18 p.m. on Highway 59 and County Road 346, located between Jay and Grove.

Gibe said he was informed by emergency medical personnel that the driver of the car that was struck by the Huddelston vehicle, Gloria Ferguson, 69, of Jay, was pinned in the vehicle and that Betty Jefferies, 78 of Jay, and Randy Jefferies, 58, of Jay, were dead at the scene in Ferguson’s silver Toyota Corolla.

Officer Gibe asked one of the three teenage boys in the black Chevy Cavalier that struck the Ferguson vehicle what happened.

The boy told the officer that they had been in Grove and were headed back to Jay when the then 16-year old Huddelston ran off the road, “and when he came back on the road he crossed the centerline and hit the oncoming vehicle.”

An empty 20-pack box of beer and empty cans were found lying in the Huddelston vehicle.

The boy claimed that he and Huddleston had been drinking beer all morning and they had only recently picked up the other boy at school.

The three boys and Ferguson were transported to the Grove Hospital emergency room for treatment.

Ferguson told Officer Gibe that the black car was off in the ditch coming toward them when “all of a sudden it came across the road and hit them head on.”

Ferguson died on May 9 at 11 a.m. at the OU medical center in Oklahoma City due to injuries sustained in the accident.

An interview with the boys at a later date revealed that Huddelston and one of the boys had called each other the night before and they “wanted to skip school and go get drunk.”

One of the boys said that he and Huddelston went to Grove, headed back to Jay and picked up the third teenager, drove back to Grove and, according to the boy, Huddelston was “going so fast that he almost ran into Taco Bell/KFC when they pulled in.”

It was on their way back to Jay the second time that the teens ran off into the ditch and overcorrected, coming back into the path of the Corolla containing the elderly trio.

Huddelston was arrested on Friday and a $150,000 bond has been set.

He has been released to the supervision of his parents.