GROVE — With tear-stained faces, Lisa Davis' friends clutched tissues and held candles as they reminisced about a young woman whose life was taken too early.

"Her smile" was a common descriptive phrase during Thursday's candlelight service.

Davis' body was found Tuesday in a remote thicket near Memphis, Tenn. Her petite body was covered with a camouflage jacket. Police believe that she was killed by an acquaintance, Austin Agee, 21, who left a note confessing to the slaying before he shot and killed himself.

At Thursday's vigil, a board covered with photos showed Davis' smile. She was with friends, part of a wedding party, modeling and holding children.

"Everywhere she went, she brought a smile," said Candace Heffleman, a friend who spoke at the service.

Davis, 29, was the youngest child and only daughter of her family. Her mother, Paula Jackson, and two brothers, Chris and Bryon Davis, live in Grove. Steve Davis, her father, lives in Fayetteville, Ark.

Thursday's service was organized by Davis' lifelong friend, Lisa Getz.

"We are all in shock," said Getz. "The last time I talked to her was last Tuesday."

Getz said she never heard Davis mention Agee's name and declined to discuss anything about the man or the slaying.

"She was my best friend," Getz said. "We met in the fifth grade — she was the first person I met after moving to Grove."

Davis graduated from Grove High School in 1998.

"Everybody that knew her, knew she had a heart of gold," Getz said.

Throughout her childhood and adolescence, Davis attended Grove schools with the exception of a couple of years when she attended school in South West City, Mo. After graduation, Davis attended Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College.

She moved to Memphis about five years ago to pursue a modeling and acting career, Getz said.

"She was working her way up the ladder — paying her dues," Getz said.

Davis was reported missing after failing to arrive at work at a motorcycle dealership Sunday.

Although police found no forced entry into her home, they did find blood and signs of a struggle, said Police Lt. Rory Mack of suburban Bartlett, Tenn.

Davis, Agee and three others reportedly were together Saturday night. The group dropped Davis off at her home about 2 a.m. Sunday, but police believe that Agee returned to the house, Mack said.