Janet Barber

JAY – A Grove man accused of killing his father has been passed to the spring felony disposition docket set for January 12, 2009 during district court proceedings held Monday morning in Jay.

Mark Henry Thurman, 25, stands accused of murdering his 61-year old father, Bob Thurman, on Nov. 29, 2005 at the Thurman’s home in the Orchard Grove Housing area, by shooting him in the back of the head.

According to incident reports filed in district court, Thurman was released Nov. 28, 2005 from the Missouri State Penitentiary, spent the night in his parents home and fatally wounded his father the next day when he returned home from work. Thurman fled the scene and was later apprehended in Raton, NM on Nov. 30 and was formally charged with first-degree murder on Dec. 1, 2005.

 On Dec. 29, 2005, Thurman was charged with a misdemeanor charge of assault and battery against a fellow prisoner, Duane K. Barber who claims that Thurman hit him in the face and threatened to rape him.

Thurman pled not guilty by reason of insanity during the felony docket set on Aug. 7, 2006 and his defense attorney, Kenny Wright, asked for a continuance in order to receive psychological testing. He was ordered to Eastern State Hospital in Vinita on January 8, 2007 where he stayed until May 16, 2007 when he appeared in district court and was found competent to stand trial.

On July 29, 2007, Thurman escaped from the Delaware County Jail through an open door as trustees were collecting dinner trays for the evening. He remained a free man for 32 minutes before he was taken back into custody. He was charged with a felony charge of escape from a jail/penal institution on July 30, 2007.

Thurman asked to enter into a plea agreement with the state on Aug. 7, 2007, where he asked for the death penalty. In documents filed in the district court clerk’s office, District Attorney Eddie Wyant asked that the jury empanelled impose the penalty of death by lethal injection against Thurman. The bill of particulars filed stated that not only had Thurman killed his father, but the lives of his son (Thurman’s) and the child’s mother were also in danger at the time of the shooting.

The document stated that not only was Thurman intending to kill his entire family, but he was going to “just keep killing as he wanted to be the next chainsaw massacre or the next natural born killer”.

Judge Robert G. Haney ordered that Thurman undergo an independent mental evaluation although he had earlier been evaluated by the states physicians and been found competent to stand trial.

On September 12, 2007, Thurman retained defense attorney, John Echols of Sapulpa, OK, who announced that he was not and could not be prepared for trial on the following spring felony disposition docket.

Thurman appeared in court for a post competency review hearing and was found competent to stand trial for the second time on February 6, 2008.

Thurman was passed to the next spring docket set for January 12, 2009 at 2 p.m. during court proceedings Aug. 4, 2008.

As of August 7, 2008, Thurman owes Delaware County $12,429.31 in fines and court costs. He has been incarcerated in the Delaware County Jail in lieu of no bond.