Charles Conwell of the Four State Franchise takes a huge step up in competition Saturday, July 14.
Conwell faces Travis Scott in an eight-round middleweight fight that is on the undercard of a show that features Regis "Rougarou" Prograis and undefeated challenger Juan Jose Velasco to decide the WBC Diamond super lightweight championship at the Lakefront Arena in New Orleans.
“He (Scott) is the most experienced fighter he’s faced so far,” promoter Tony Holden said. “It’s going to be good for Charles to make this move.”
While this will be just the eighth time Conwell, the former Olympian from Cleveland, Ohio, Scott has had 22 previous fights.
“The one thing I can say about Charles is he’s the most relaxed fighter I have ever been around,” Holden said. “He smiles on his way to the ring and smiles in the ring. I don’t think it worries him at all. I think Charles likes the move up in caliber.”
Scott, who hails from New Orleans, isn’t considered to be a knockout artist, getting only five of his 19 career wins via stoppage.
“I don’t want to put him against a knockout artist,” Holden said. “The kid is still 20 years old. I do have a lot of confidence in him.
“He has turned out to be a great pro.”
Conwell logged a six-round unanimous decision over Juan Jesus Rivera in his last fight on March 9 in Deadwood, South Dakota.
“The one thing I really like about this young man, in Deadwood he watched (Ivan) Baranchyk fight,” Holden said. “Ivan went to the next level and looked like a world champion fighter.
Baranchyk was much improved and Conwell absorbed it. It was ‘I just can’t wait to get to that level.’ He loves the sport and lives for it.”
Conwell made his pro debut in Miami on April 21, 2017 and had three of his first four fights here.
Scott, with more than 100 amateur bouts under his belt, won the Southern Boxing Association's boxer of the year award in 1995 and 1996.
He was named to the All-Marine boxing team during his time in the military.
The show, which will be televised by ESPN and ESPN+, is presented by Top Rank, in association with DiBella Entertainment.
Holden said he hopes to make an announcement in early August about a local card.
“I want to keep these boys here and watching Trey in Oklahoma City inspired me more,” Holden said.
He said talks are still ongoing for the site and date of Baranchyk’s World Boxing Super Series fight against Anthony Yigit.