Five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. The big movies opening this week are “All Saints” a PG-rated drama based on a true story starring John Corbett as a salesman-turned-pastor of a tiny church he was ordered to shut down, and a group of refugees from Southeast Asia; and “Leap!” an PG animated film about an orphan girl (voiced by Elle Fanning) who dreams of becoming a ballerina and flees her rural Brittany for Paris.
2. Friday is National Banana Split Day, go out for a banana split (or make your own, of course) or try this easy banana split smoothie recipe: combine 2 med. ripe bananas, 1 drained (8 oz. can of crushed pineapple, 1-1/2 C. milk, 1/2 C. fresh or frozen unsweetened sliced strawberries. Blend until smooth and top with whipped cream, chocolate syrup and maraschino cherries. Turn it into a milkshake by subbing half the milk with ice cream. Yum!
3. Saturday is National Dog Day, recognizing the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year and appreciating the dog you have, who brings you smiles every day. Volunteer at your local dog shelter or treat your pooch to an extra long walk today. Find more ways to celebrate at nationaldogday.com.
4. School has started, so take time to celebrate the end of the summer this weekend. Go swimming, go on a picnic, get some ice cream - just do something summery and say goodbye to another great season in the sun.
5. Get ready for football. The college football season starts this weekend with the first game being played at 1:30 p.m., CST by Colorado State and Oregon State. The NFL is not far behind as its season starts the weekend after Labor Day. Make sure your fantasy teams are in good order (or hold a fantasy draft with your buddies), set up your man cave and get ready for some fun.