It will be hard for Kenzie Morrison to top his last outing, but he’s going to try.
Morrison ends a four-month layoff on Friday, Aug. 25 when he steps into the ring in downtown Miami, in the center of Main and First Streets, next to the Coleman Theatre, to face an undetermined opponent in a show that will be part of Fox Sports 1’s Premier Boxing Champions series.
“That is the plan,” Morrison said. “I even brought him (Aaron Chavers) on as a sparring partner for this upcoming fight along with a couple guys from Oklahoma City, including Wes Nofire (a Tahlequah native who is 19-1).”
Morrison took a little time off and recovered from a slight elbow injury.
“It was nothing crazy, but I am ready to get back at it,” he said. “I was playing a lot of golf and I think I developed ‘golfer’s elbow’ a little bit — not really an injury but it’s just a little tender.”
Morrison’s last action was April 21 when he scored a TKO against Chavers at Buffalo Run Casino.
The pair had battled to a majority draw here on Sept. 23.
Morrison took charge early and pounded away at Chavers, whose corner waved off the fight just prior to the start of the third round.
This was his second fight under a new team of trainers, headed up by Kevin Lightburn of Straightright Boxing in Springdale, Arkansas.
“The first fight was kind of feeling each other out and getting used to the program,” Morrison said. “The second was following the program and doing it better.
“Now I feel we’ve developed a relationship and I am close to all the guys I train with. We all work together. It’s a good place. I feel at home. I only see good things in the future.”
Morrison has gone the distance in only two of his 13 fights, getting four knockouts and six wins by TKO.
Morrison’s other draw was Aug. 29, 2015, against Chris Harris.
Morrison’s opponent has not been announced but they’re “real close” promoter Tony Holden said in a text message.
The main event of the show pits Tureano Johnson (20-1) against Sergiy Derevyanchenko (10-0) in an IBF middleweight eliminator.
The winner faces either Canelo Alvarez or Gennady Golovkin either later this year or in early 2018.
Those two square off Sept. 16, where Golovkin will defend his IBF, WBC and WBA titles and Alvarez will attempt to defend his Ring Magazine title.
Derevyanchenko is co-promoted by Lou DiBella and DiBella Entertainment.
DiBella won a purse bid for the eliminator then partnered with Holden to stage the fight in Miami.
The pair have collaborated on several shows recently.
Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions represents Johnson.
Also on the show will be Immanuwel Aleem (17-0-1) vs. Hugo Centano Jr. (25-1) in a battle of middleweights.
Johnson, from the Bahamas, is the current WBC Silver middleweight champion. He qualified for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
Johnson’s only loss was a controversial decision against Curtis Stevens in 2014. He has put together six straight wins since then.
Derevyanchenko went 23-1 with seven knockouts during his stint in the World Series of Boxing.
He was 390-20 as an amateur and was a bronze medalist at the 2007 World Amateur Boxing Championships.
Derevyanchenko also fought in the 2008 Olympics.
Unbeaten former Olympian Charles Conwell — the newest member of the 4SF also will be on the card. His opponent, as well as the rest of the undercard, has not been announced.
The TV portion of the card is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. according to the Fox Sports website, but the actual “go live” time will hinge on the completion of programming centered on the Floyd Mayweather-Colin McGregor mega fight that will be Saturday, Aug. 26 in Las Vegas.
“I am excited about this show since it’s a different venue,” Morrison said. “It should be fun.”