Things taking place this weekend.
1. In theaters this weekend is the latest installment of a Pixar franchise, “Cars 3,” rated G, wherein Lightning McQueen sets out to prove to a new generation of racers that he’s still the best race car in the world; “Rough Night” an R-rated comedy about a bachelorette party gone wrong; the rated R Tupac Shakur biopic “All Eyez on Me;” and the PG-13 horror thriller “47 Meters Down” about two sisters who are trapped in a shark cage at the bottom of the ocean with sharks above them and only a tank of oxygen between them.
2. Father’s Day is Sunday and the weekend wouldn’t be complete with a cookout of some kind, so make sure to plan one. (But let him grill the meat — he knows how he likes it.) Plan the menu with his favorite foods, set up outside if it’s nice and enjoy your time together.
3. Summer officially begins on next week, but get an early start on celebrating the summer solstice with a picnic or other kind of party this weekend. If it’s supposed to be hot, make plans for a water-based event, and don’t forget the sun tea and lemonade for refreshment!
4. Sunday, June 18 is International Sushi Day so go out to your local sushi bar and celebrate by ordering your favorite roll. Not too keen on eating raw fish? Not all sushi is raw; the name actually refers to a dish made with cooked, vinegared rice combined with other ingredients.
5. With kids out of school and probably looking for something to do, now is a good time to visit the library and/or a bookstore and get them loaded up on good books. Reading helps keep kids learning, and it’s fun, too.
Some of summer’s hottest books right now are the picture books “The Wonderful Things You Will Be,” “She Persisted: 13 American Women Who Changed the World” and “Dragons Love Tacos 2: The Sequel.”