Things taking place this weekend.
1. In theaters this weekend is the latest in the Alien prequels (and a sequel to “Prometheus”) “Alien: Covenant” rated R; for more PG fare check out “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul” about the protagonist’s road trip to attend his grandma’s 90th birthday party goes hilariously off course; and for teens is the PG-13 romantic drama “Everything, Everything” based on the popular Young Adult novel by the same name.
2. The second leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown takes place Saturday. I’ll Have Another will try to win the Preakness after winning the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago. The race is at 6:30 p.m. EDT and airs on NBC.
3. Friday is National Bike to Work Day, a time when people are encouraged to ditch their automobiles and commute with their bikes if possible. You can ride an old-timey bike, a fancy new version with shocks - whatever, just bike! It’s good for your health and for the environment.
4. Saturday is Armed Forces Day, a day to honor those serving our country in the military. Check the newspaper for events in your town, or check out the official site, http://www.defense.gov/afd/, for more information.
5. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, drowning is the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children ages one to 14. On Saturday, National Learn to Swim Day, parents and guardians should teach children about water safety as well as the importance and benefits of learning to swim. Learn more at teachmetoswim.com/national-learn-to-swim-day