Five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. In theaters this weekend is the much awaited live-action adaptation of the 1991 Disney fairytale “Beauty and the Beast” starring Emma Watson as Belle and rated PG; “The Belko Experiment” a rated R thriller about a twisted social experiment about 80 employees trapped in a deadly game of kill or be killed; and the R-rated drama T2 Trainspotting a sequel in which after 20 years abroad, Mark Renton returns to Scotland and reunites with his old friends.
2. If you have a big sports fan in the house, you might not see him or her too much this weekend — March Madness kicked into gear Thursday, and there are a plethora of games scheduled through the weekend. First-round games continue on Friday, and the second round takes place Saturday and Sunday. For schedules, brackets and more, check out www.ncaa.com.
3. Friday is St. Patrick’s Day, so this whole weekend will be about celebrating it. If you’re a beer fan, head to your favorite pub (an Irish-themed one works well, of course) for some Guinness or Harp or another Irish favorite. You can also try some Irish food, or make your own at home. An easy dinner would be corned beef and cabbage and champ. Many towns hold parades and other special events for St. Patrick’s Day, so check the newspaper for listings.
4. You might not want to give up meat entirely, but why not try it for a day? Monday is the first day of Spring and you can celebrate it by making it a Meatless Monday for Great American Meatout. To find out how many animals a plant-based diet can save, check out the
5. What’s better than chocolate? Chocolate mixed with caramel! Sunday, March 19 is National Chocolate Caramel Day and to celebrate make your favorite chocolate and caramel cookie, candy bar or cupcake. Wondering who came up with the combination? It’s said that Milton Hershey began his career at a caramel company and was looking for ways to improve caramel candy. His first product was a chocolate-covered caramel.